Wednesday, October 26, 2016

3D Printing Design Brief: Let's Give Them a Medal!

For this project, I focused on history in the second grade.  In second grade, according to the Virginia SOL 2.11, the students learn about some important people from our nation's history:

VA SOL 2.11 The student will identify George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Susan B. Anthony, Helen Keller, Jackie Robinson, and Martin Luther King, Jr., as Americans whose contributions improved the lives of other Americans.

In order to get to know these important people a little better, I created a design brief that would lead them into a research project on one of these people.  After finding five facts about what their person is known for, the students will create a medal of accomplishment in honor of their person.  In the end, the students would present their medals and information about their person in front of the class.  Here is the brief:



It was important to me that the students designed something personally for the 3D printing portion.  After researching different programs, I chose to use Tinkercad.  I chose this program because I found it easy to use and entertaining.  There are tutorials to help the children learn the basics of the program.  I think they would understand how to manipulate their projects with ease after learning the basics.  I also liked that you can use pre-designed 3D objects and import them into Tinkercad.  This made finding the right things, while still designing the project themselves easier.

I created a medal that I would present George Washington with as an example:


No comments:

Post a Comment